The Army Institute of Law recognizes the importance of good oratory skills, critical thinking and the ability to express one's ideas to excel in the field of law. The Debating Society (DEBSOC) regularly sends teams, who are selected after a rigorous elimination process at AIL, to participate in various national and international level competitions. The students have brought many laurels and accolades for the Institute over the period of years. DEBSOC also organizes the Intra-Institute Debate Competition annually for the students at AIL, Mohali.
FACULTY COORDINATORS (2023-2024)
- Dr. Kirandeep Kaur and Ms. Gurleen Kaur.
STUDENT COORDINATORS (2023-2024)
- Nitya Pandey (3rd Year)
- Advait Vitekar (3rd Year)
- Ridhi Mittal (2nd Year)
- Pratham Kadian (2nd Year)
AIL Intra-Institute Debate Championship 2023
The final round of the AIL Intra-Institute Debate Championship 2023 was organized on 12-09-2023. The final round was preceded by a highly competitive and enthralling preliminary round. A total of 12 teams competed against each other on 8th September, 2023 in the preliminary round, out of which 6 teams qualified for the final round. The motion for the finals of the Championship was “Digital Platforms act as Corridors between Consumers and Businesses.”The results of the competition are as under:
- Winners: Adhya Trivedi (2236) and Preethi Sunil (2277), were awarded with the Running Trophy, Cash Award of Rs. 4200 and Certificates.
- Runners up: Yuvraj Vighmall (2298) and Vinayak Sharma (2251), were awarded Cash Award of Rs. 3200 and Certificates.
- Judges’ Choice Award for the Best Speaker: Vinayak Sharma (2251), won Cash Award of Rs. 1000 and a Certificate.
Debating Society 2022-2023Faculty Coordinator: Dr. Puja Jaiswal
Diksha Mehta (5th Year)
Akshaj Singh (5th Year)
Dev Mani (2nd Year)
Rakshak Tyagi (2nd Year)
Activities @ 2022-23
- Team of Mr AdvaitVitekar(2164), Ms. Nitya Pandey(2108) and Ms. Anika Bhatia (2142) adjudged as WINNERS in the Asian Parliamentary Debate competition, conducted by LJ School of Law, Ahmedabad, Gujarat from 24-26, Feb 2023. The team has won a cash prize of INR 50,000 along with trophies and certificates. Along with this, Ms. Nitiya (2108) adjudged as the Best Speaker and bagged a cash prize of INR 10,000 & a trophy.
- AIL team of Avi Ansh and Udita (both from BALLB Ist year) won the National Debate Competition, held at Hamdard Institute Of Legal Studies & Research, Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi, from 17th to 19th March 2023. The team won a cash prize of Rs. 12,000/- alongwith with trophy Also, Avi Ansh was adjudged as The Best Debater.
- Mr. AdvaitVitekar (2164) of 2nd year has won the Best Speaker Award winning a cash prize of Rs. 5000/- in the Rakesh Aggarwal Memorial (Online) National Debate Competition, 2022 held at IIMT, Delhi on 22ndSeptember, 2022. The Team of Ms. Simran Yadav and Mr. AdvaitVitekar both of 2nd year reached the semi-finals of the said debate competition.
- Ms Ibadat Kaur Sarao (Roll no. 2285) and KanavAukta (Roll no. 2241) both from Ist year declared as Runner Up Team. Team won a Cash prize of Rs. 2000/- alongwith Individual trophy and certificates in the 2nd Prof. Anil Kumar Thakur Memorial National Debate Competition" organised by Department of Laws, Panjab University, Chandigarh "on 10th November 2022.
- Team of Mr Pratham Kadian (2253), Ms. Ridhi Mittal (2283) and Ms. Bhoomi (2249), have been adjudged as Winners of the competition - "Cognoscenti" held at Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Punjab on Nov. 16th, 2022, winning a cash award of Rs.11,000/- alongwith a Trophy. Mr. Pratham Kadian has also been adjudged Best Speaker and is awarded a Certificate of Appreciation.
- Intra- Institute Debate Competition was organised at AIL, Mohali on September 16th, 2022. 8 teams battled for the coveted title of the ‘Winner’ and the splendid Trophy. The speakers spoke eloquently on the topic- “Should OTT Streaming Be Censored in India?”
- The prizes winners:-
Best Team: TC4- Dhruv Khanduri (2173) &Awantika Sharan (2133), lifted the Running Trophy and Cash prize of Rs.4,000/-alongwith certificate.
Runners-up: TC6-Shaurya Raj (2161) &Rakshak Tyagi (2152) won a Cash prize of Rs.3,000/- alongwithcertificate .
Best Speaker: Dhruv Khanduri (2173) won a Cash award of Rs. 1000/- and a certificate
Debating Society 2020-2021Faculty Co-ordinator: Dr.Kirandeep Kaur
Student Members: Diksha Mehta (3rd Year) and Samriddhi Seth (3rd Year)
Activities @ 2020-21
- Diksha Mehta (3rd Year) was declared Runners up National Debate Competition on on ‘Bombardment of Infodemic in Times of Pandemic’ conducted by School of Law, NarseeMonjee Institute of Management studies, Indore which was held on 25th July, 2020.
- Abhishek Ranjan (2nd Year) was declared Breaking Adjudicator at La-Liberta - the First Virtual International Parliamentary Debate Competition (Asian Style) - organized by JLU School of Law, Jagran Lake City University, Bhopal which was conducted from 20th to 22nd November, 2020.
Intra-Institute Debate Competition 2021 was organized on 4-3-2021. Eight teams were shortlisted out of twenty-four teams who had registered for the elimination rounds. The debate was in Hindi/English. The motion for Vitarka 2021 was “Right of reputation of one cannot be protected at the cost of right of dignity of another.” Winning Team - Ms MehulaVats(1732) and Mr. Mayank Sharma(1748) were awarded with Cash Prize of Rs. 4000/-, Certificates and the Running Trophy.
RunnersUp Team - Ms.Kanishka Chopra (2065) Ms. Tirtha Ajith (2024) were awarded with Cash Prize of Rs. 3000/- and Certificates
Debating Society 2019-2020
Faculty Co-ordinator: Dr. Gagandeep Dhaliwal
Activities @ 2019-20
- VITARKA 2020-First edition of AIL inter college debate competition: The DEBSOC added another feather in its cap by organising and successfully conducting the first edition of AIL inter college Debate competition for the tri-city of Chandigarh, Panchkula and Mohali. A total of 10 teams participated. The team of DAV Sec 10 Chandigarh consisting of Mr Aman David and Vivek were declared as the winners followed by the MCM, Sec 36 Chandigarh as the runners up whose team consisted of Chandni and Sanya. The winning team was awarded a trophy along with a cash prize of 5000 Rs and the runners up won a cash prize of 3000 Rs. Vivek of DAV, Sec 10, Chandigarh was declared as the best speaker. He was awarded a certificate and a cash prize of 1500 Rs.
- An intra -institute debate competition was conducted at AIL on 24th October on the topic- ‘India will be corruption free one day’ in order to observe the vigilance awareness week. The competition saw an overwhelming response by the participants and made the audience also ponder over the importance of being vigilant about the malady of corruption which has infested India.
- The Debating Society @ AIL upholds the belief held by Margaret Hefferman who said “For good ideas and true innovation, you need human interaction, conflict, argument and debate.” Debsoc@ AIL sent teams to different colleges &Universities across the country during the academic session of 2019-20 who participated in various MUNs and PDs. The students brought home the following laurels:
- Radhika Verma (2nd year) was adjudged the Best delegate at MUN, GNLU, Gandhinagar, Gujrat held from 6th to 8th Sept’19.
- Diksha Mehta (2nd year) won the High commendation in the UNHRC committee in IGMUN,2020 at IIT, Jodhpur.
- Prateek (4th year) was adjudged best adjudicator in Parliamentary debate organized at RMNLU, Lucknow which was held from 14th to 16th Feb’20.
- Anushka (3rd year) won High commendation in UNCCs committee at MUN,CGC, Landranwhich was held on 1st and 2nd Feb’20.