The Army Institute of Law recognizes the importance of good oratory skills, critical thinking and the ability to express one's ideas to excel in the field of law. The Debating Society (DEBSOC) regularly sends teams, who are selected after a rigorous elimination process at AIL, to participate in various national and international level competitions. The students have brought many laurels and accolades for the Institute over the period of years. DEBSOC also organizes the Intra-Institute Debate Competition annually for the students at AIL, Mohali.
Debating Society 2019-2020
Faculty Co-ordinator: Dr. Gagandeep Dhaliwal
- VITARKA 2020-First edition of AIL inter college debate competition: The DEBSOC added another feather in its cap by organising and successfully conducting the first edition of AIL inter college Debate competition for the tri-city of Chandigarh, Panchkula and Mohali. A total of 10 teams participated. The team of DAV Sec 10 Chandigarh consisting of Mr Aman David and Vivek were declared as the winners followed by the MCM, Sec 36 Chandigarh as the runners up whose team consisted of Chandni and Sanya. The winning team was awarded a trophy along with a cash prize of 5000 Rs and the runners up won a cash prize of 3000 Rs. Vivek of DAV, Sec 10, Chandigarh was declared as the best speaker. He was awarded a certificate and a cash prize of 1500 Rs.
- An intra -institute debate competition was conducted at AIL on 24th October on the topic- ‘India will be corruption free one day’ in order to observe the vigilance awareness week. The competition saw an overwhelming response by the participants and made the audience also ponder over the importance of being vigilant about the malady of corruption which has infested India.
- The Debating Society @ AIL upholds the belief held by Margaret Hefferman who said “For good ideas and true innovation, you need human interaction, conflict, argument and debate.” Debsoc@ AIL sent teams to different colleges &Universities across the country during the academic session of 2019-20 who participated in various MUNs and PDs. The students brought home the following laurels:
- Radhika Verma (2nd year) was adjudged the Best delegate at MUN, GNLU, Gandhinagar, Gujrat held from 6th to 8th Sept’19.
- Diksha Mehta (2nd year) won the High commendation in the UNHRC committee in IGMUN,2020 at IIT, Jodhpur.
- Prateek (4th year) was adjudged best adjudicator in Parliamentary debate organized at RMNLU, Lucknow which was held from 14th to 16th Feb’20.
- Anushka (3rd year) won High commendation in UNCCs committee at MUN,CGC, Landranwhich was held on 1st and 2nd Feb’20.
Debating Society 2020-2021
Faculty Co-ordinator: Dr. Kirandeep Kaur
Student Members: Diksha Mehta (3rd Year) and Samriddhi Seth (3rd Year)
Students have represented AIL, Mohali and have made the following achievements by far:
- Diksha Mehta (3rd Year) was declared Runners up National Debate Competition on on ‘Bombardment of Infodemic in Times of Pandemic’ conducted by School of Law, NarseeMonjee Institute of Management studies, Indore which was held on 25th July, 2020.
- Abhishek Ranjan (2nd Year) was declared Breaking Adjudicator at La-Liberta - the First Virtual International Parliamentary Debate Competition (Asian Style) - organized by JLU School of Law, Jagran Lake City University, Bhopal which was conducted from 20th to 22nd November, 2020.